Monday, October 22, 2007

#15 Web 2.0, Library 2.0

I have been reading the suggested website regarding Web 2.o, Library 2.0. Rick Anderson, in his article "Away from the “icebergs”" talks about the “just in case” collection in libraries which is a lot of a collection of printed books kept on the shelves "just in case" someone may want to read them. If everything was digitised it would be available but not take up so much space.
Dr. Wendy Schultz, in "To a temporary place in time..." asks, "What are libraries? Libraries are not just collections of documents and books, they are conversations, they are convocations of people, ideas, and artifacts in dynamic exchange. Libraries are not merely in communities, they are communities".
She talks about the Library being a commodity, a product, a service, and an experience.
Michael Stephens, in "Into a new world of librarianship" talks about the skills a librarian needs for this brave new world. We need to embrace web 2.0 and it's associated technology. Seek out information and use it!

Everything is moving faster and faster! All these Web 2.0 skills are terrific and it is great to have time to explore and play with new technology and try to keep up with the kids. I think I am doing OK in my little world with books and CDs and DVDs but I think the Library 2.0 is about getting out of your comfort zone while sitting at home or at work and finding out what is out there and if you want to be part of it.
I look at other blogs and think that I will need to go back over some of the things in this program because some participants have done fantastic blogs and I think "How did they do that?". And I know that I need to go back and look at thing in more depth. Somethings just haven't clicked with me or I have just glanced at it and raced ahead ...again.

1 comment:

Yarra Plenty Library Regional Library said...

You have certainly picked some great explanations of Web 2.0 to highlight on your blog. It's all about exploring new ideas and concepts.
You're going a great job...keep up the good work

Lynette