Sunday, September 16, 2007

cycling in the city

On the weekend I tried out some Melbourne bike paths. The main Yarra trail, the capital city trail. We cycled from Alphington along the Yarra. Passed Studley Park Boat House, the Collingwood Children's farm. (Yes they were growing lost of the rascals.) Along Southbank. Lunched at Docklands. Travelled through Royal Park near the Zoo. Continued through Brunswick. Merri Creek path. passed the Fairfield Boat House. Across the Pipe Bridge. Under the Chandler Highway bridge following the Yarra and the Freeway to Burke Road. Then back behind the Ivanhoe Golf Club coming out at Wilson's reserve and the Ivanhoe Boulevard and back to Alphington via Heidelberg Road. 5o km's.
But why do bike paths have steps? I had to carry my bike up and down various flights of stairs along the way. There is a lack of directional signs along the paths. I often took wrong turns trying to find my way especially at Royal park and Rushall station. Yes, I can see you shaking your heads at my lack of direction but I am from the country. And I had a map from Don at the Leongatha Bike shop.
It was difficult to get a decent speed up on the bike paths too. They are very busy places. People everywhere.

1 comment:

Webgurl said...

Wow that was some bike ride. How many kilometres was that?

I agree about the steps, weird! Not that I ride bikes.

Great start to your blog Aardvark.

Cheers, webgurl