Saturday, December 22, 2007

What do I want to do when I grow up?

I am sure you know how it is. You get out of bed and go to work each day. Work hard, do your best and just keep working for a few years. And at the end of a tough week you ask yourself...."Is this all there is? Do I really want to be doing this in 15 or 20 years time?". I don't really know where I am going with this but because this is my "private diary" it is OK.
The place where I work is about to start it's HORROR phase. We will be absolutely flat out until after EASTER!!! I will feel like a check out chick by the end of January. Not that there is anything wrong with supermarket checkouts. I may occasionally ask if users would "like chips with that".
We stand all day (except when we have lunch). I work an 8 shift one day a week and my legs are so tired by the end of the day. There is not much variety in the work. Either circ desk or shelving.
Does anyone know of anything in the Geneva Convention about standing up all day?
Bank staff now have chairs. Aldi checkout operators sit down.
We get a slight easing off when school goes back but then the more grown up people visit our area and we are tired. And Council rates are due in February...twice!! Animal Registrations in April. All in a library with a staff allocation of 1.7 staff. Blah, blah, blah.
I am so glad that I usually work part time. Working really cuts into your living time.
But we will survive.
I think I am just tired and panicing about Christmas.
Anyway this was going to be about career opportunities in libraries.
Maybe next time....

No comments: